Caramelized onion and bacon cornbread is a savory cornbread dish that is typically served as a side dish with meals such as chili, barbecue, or fried chicken. It is made by combining cornmeal, flour, eggs, milk, and other ingredients with caramelized onions and crispy bacon, which give it a rich and savory flavor.
To make caramelized onion and bacon cornbread, finely chopped onions are first cooked in a skillet with butter or oil over low heat until they become caramelized and sweet. The bacon is also cooked until crispy and chopped into small pieces. Cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, eggs, milk, and other ingredients are then mixed together in a bowl until a batter is formed. The caramelized onions and bacon are added to the batter and mixed in thoroughly.
The mixture is then poured into a greased baking dish and baked in the oven until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The result is a delicious and savory cornbread that has a slightly sweet taste from the caramelized onions and a salty, smoky flavor from the bacon.
Caramelized onion and bacon cornbread can be served warm or at room temperature and is often topped with butter or drizzled with honey. It is a comforting and flavorful side dish that is popular in the Southern United States and is enjoyed year-round.
PREPARATION TIME: 45 minutes
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease an 8-inch square baking dish or cast iron skillet.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the sliced onions to the same skillet and cook over low heat until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the caramelized onions and cooked bacon.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish or skillet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cornbread cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- Serve the cornbread hot, topped with extra bacon and caramelized onions.
- For a sweeter cornbread, increase the sugar to 2 tablespoons.
- To make a gluten-free version, use gluten-free flour in place of all-purpose flour.