Carrot cake is a classic dessert that is made with grated carrots, flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, and spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. The cake is typically topped with a creamy frosting made from cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
To make carrot cake, the grated carrots are mixed with the dry ingredients, then combined with a mixture of beaten eggs, oil, and vanilla extract. The batter is then poured into a cake pan and baked in the oven until it is cooked through and lightly browned.
Once the cake has cooled, a frosting made from cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract is spread over the top and sides of the cake. The frosting is often decorated with chopped nuts, shredded coconut, or additional grated carrots.
Carrot cake is a popular dessert in many parts of the world and is enjoyed for its sweet and spicy flavor, as well as its moist and tender texture. It is a great way to enjoy the health benefits of carrots in a delicious and indulgent treat. Carrot cake can be served as a dessert or enjoyed as a sweet snack with a cup of tea or coffee.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes + 1 hour baking and cooling time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9×9 inch (23×23 cm) cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the oil mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Stir in grated carrots, chopped walnuts, and raisins. Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool to room temperature, then serve.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- For a moister cake, add 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple to the batter.
- For a sweeter cake, increase the amount of sugar to 2 cups.
- Serve with a dollop of cream cheese frosting, if desired.