Cinnamon roll cake is a delicious dessert that combines the flavors and textures of cinnamon rolls and cake. It typically consists of a layer of cake batter that is swirled with a mixture of cinnamon, sugar, and butter and then baked until golden brown. The cake is then topped with a sweet glaze made from powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla.
To make cinnamon roll cake, a batter is typically made from a mixture of flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, milk, and butter. The batter is then poured into a baking dish and topped with a mixture of cinnamon, sugar, and melted butter. The cinnamon mixture is swirled into the cake batter using a knife or toothpick, creating a marbled effect.
The cake is then baked in the oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. While the cake is cooling, a glaze is typically made by whisking together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. The glaze is then drizzled over the top of the cake, creating a sweet and sticky topping.
Cinnamon roll cake is a delicious and comforting dessert that is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or as a sweet treat any time of day. The combination of warm cinnamon and sweet glaze on top of a fluffy cake is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. It can be served warm or at room temperature and is best enjoyed with a cup of coffee or tea.
PREPARATION TIME: 1 hour 15 minutes (including rising time)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110-115°F)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 envelope)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the warm milk, yeast, and 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Let sit for 5-10 minutes until the mixture becomes frothy.
- Stir in the melted butter, egg, 2 cups of the flour, and salt until well combined. Gradually add in the remaining 1 cup flour until the mixture forms a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for 30-40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 12×15-inch rectangle. Spread the softened butter evenly over the dough. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the butter.
- Starting at one of the short ends, roll up the dough tightly into a log. Cut the log into 4 equal pieces. Place the pieces cut side up in the prepared cake pan.
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Pour the mixture evenly over the rolls.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired, before serving.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- This cinnamon roll cake is best served warm and can be rewarmed in the microwave or oven before serving.
- For extra richness, spread a layer of cream cheese frosting over the rolls before serving.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend.