Hush puppies are a type of deep-fried savory fritter that is popular in southern cuisine in the United States. They are typically made from a mixture of cornmeal, flour, eggs, milk or buttermilk, and seasonings, which is formed into small balls or elongated shapes and then deep-fried until crispy and golden brown.
The origin of the name “hush puppies” is not entirely clear, but one theory is that they were named after the practice of feeding leftover bits of fried batter to barking dogs to “hush” them.
Hush puppies are often served as a side dish or appetizer alongside other southern dishes such as fried catfish, fried chicken, or barbecue. They are also a popular snack food and can be found at fairs, festivals, and other outdoor events.
Hush puppies have a crispy exterior and a soft, fluffy interior, and are typically seasoned with salt, pepper, and other spices such as garlic or onion powder. Some recipes also call for the addition of chopped onions, jalapenos, or other ingredients to add flavor and texture to the fritters. Hush puppies are best served hot and can be enjoyed with a variety of dipping sauces such as ranch dressing, hot sauce, or honey butter.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Stir in chopped onion, buttermilk, and egg until mixture is just combined.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat until it reaches 375°F (190°C).
- Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, drop batter into hot oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry hush puppies until golden brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove hush puppies from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- For extra flavor, add chopped jalapeno peppers or diced pickles to the batter.
- Hush puppies can also be baked in the oven at 425°F (220°C) for 15-20 minutes.
- To keep hush puppies warm until ready to serve, place them in a preheated 200°F (93°C) oven.