Lemon pound cake is a dense and rich cake that is typically made with flour, sugar, butter, eggs, and fresh lemon juice and zest. The cake has a tight crumb and a moist and tender texture that is similar to that of a traditional pound cake.
To make lemon pound cake, the butter and sugar are first creamed together until light and fluffy. Eggs are then added one at a time, followed by the flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon juice and zest. The batter is then poured into a loaf pan and baked in the oven until it is golden brown and cooked through.
Once the cake has cooled, a sweet and tangy glaze made from powdered sugar and lemon juice is drizzled over the top of the cake. This adds an extra burst of lemon flavor and sweetness to the cake.
Lemon pound cake is a popular dessert in many parts of the world and is often enjoyed as a sweet treat with tea or coffee. It can also be served with whipped cream or fresh fruit for an extra touch of flavor and texture. Lemon pound cake is a delicious and refreshing dessert that is perfect for any occasion.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes + 1 hour baking and cooling time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsps. lemon zest
- 3 tbsps. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9×5 inch (23×13 cm) loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool to room temperature, then serve.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or a drizzle of lemon glaze, if desired.
- For a more intense lemon flavor, add more lemon zest or lemon juice to the batter.
- Wrap the cooled cake in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.