Mashed sweet potatoes are a delicious and nutritious side dish that are made from cooked and mashed sweet potatoes, sometimes called yams. Sweet potatoes are a type of root vegetable that are known for their sweet flavor and orange flesh.
To make mashed sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes are first peeled and diced into small cubes. The potatoes are then boiled until they are soft and tender, usually for about 15-20 minutes. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, they are drained and mashed until they are smooth and creamy.
Mashed sweet potatoes can be enjoyed plain or seasoned with a variety of ingredients, such as butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. They are a popular side dish during the holidays, particularly during Thanksgiving and Christmas, but can be enjoyed year-round as a nutritious and delicious side dish.
Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, making mashed sweet potatoes a healthy and flavorful alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Optional: additional toppings such as brown sugar, cinnamon, or chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Wash the sweet potatoes and pierce each several times with a fork.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and place them in a large bowl.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher or fork.
- Add the butter, heavy cream, salt, and pepper, and continue to mash until the mixture is smooth.
- Serve hot, with additional toppings if desired.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- To make this dish vegan, use a non-dairy milk and vegan butter.
- To make this dish lower in fat, use a low-fat milk or half-and-half.
- To add a touch of sweetness, mix in a tablespoon of brown sugar or a pinch of cinnamon.