A pimento cheese sandwich is a classic southern sandwich made with a mixture of cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, and pimentos, which are small red peppers that have been roasted, peeled, and diced. The mixture is often seasoned with salt, pepper, and other spices, and can be served on bread, crackers, or as a dip for vegetables.
To make a pimento cheese sandwich, the cheese, mayonnaise, and pimentos are combined in a bowl and mixed together until well blended. The mixture is then spread onto slices of bread, and the sandwich is typically grilled or toasted until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy.
Pimento cheese sandwiches are a beloved southern classic that are often served at picnics, parties, and other social gatherings. They are a simple and delicious sandwich that can be made quickly and easily, and can be customized to suit individual tastes by adjusting the amount of mayonnaise or spices used in the recipe.
While pimento cheese sandwiches are traditionally made with cheddar cheese, variations of the recipe can be made with other types of cheese, such as Monterey Jack or Swiss. Additionally, some people like to add bacon, lettuce, or tomato to their pimento cheese sandwich for additional flavor and texture. Nevertheless, the classic pimento cheese sandwich is a beloved southern staple that is enjoyed by many.
PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes
- 8 slices of bread
- 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of grated pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup of diced jarred pimentos
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter or cooking spray for greasing
- In a large bowl, mix together the cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, pimentos, mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Spread a generous amount of the pimento cheese mixture on four slices of bread.
- Top each slice of bread with another slice to make a sandwich.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and grease it with butter or cooking spray.
- Place the sandwiches in the pan and cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Cut each sandwich in half and serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- Serve with pickles or potato chips for added crunch.
- Experiment with different types of bread, such as sourdough or whole grain, for a different texture.
- Add slices of cooked bacon or ham for a more substantial sandwich.