Sweet tea is a popular beverage that originated in the southern United States and is made by steeping tea leaves in hot water and adding sugar before cooling and serving over ice. It is a refreshing and sweetened version of iced tea that is enjoyed by many in the southern states and beyond.
To make sweet tea, tea leaves are steeped in boiling water for several minutes to release the flavor and color of the tea. Sugar is added while the tea is still hot, and the mixture is stirred until the sugar is dissolved. The tea is then allowed to cool to room temperature before being poured over ice and served.
Sweet tea is a staple beverage in the southern United States, where it is often served at restaurants, cafes, and in people’s homes. It is a refreshing and sweetened version of iced tea that can be customized to individual tastes by adjusting the amount of sugar used in the recipe. Sweet tea is typically served with a slice of lemon, and is a popular accompaniment to many southern-style dishes, such as barbecue, fried chicken, and biscuits.
Sweet tea has become popular in other parts of the United States as well, and can often be found at coffee shops, convenience stores, and other food establishments. It is a beloved beverage that has a unique and refreshing taste, and is a symbol of southern hospitality and culture.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tea bags (black tea)
- Ice cubes
- Lemon slices (optional)
- Fill a large saucepan with 8 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and add the tea bags.
- Let the tea steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and add the sugar to the saucepan.
- Stir until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Pour the mixture into a pitcher and add ice cubes to chill.
- Serve the sweet tea over ice cubes and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- For a sweeter taste, add more sugar to the mixture.
- To make a larger batch, simply double the ingredients and adjust the preparation time accordingly.