Bourbon glazed ham is a popular dish that is often served for special occasions like holidays, such as Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas. It is a baked ham that has been coated with a sweet and savory bourbon glaze, which gives it a rich and flavorful taste.
To make bourbon glazed ham, a precooked, spiral-cut ham is first prepared by removing the outer packaging and scoring the surface of the ham with shallow cuts. The ham is then placed in a baking dish and covered with a glaze made from bourbon, brown sugar, honey, Dijon mustard, and a blend of spices.
The glaze is brushed generously over the surface of the ham, and the ham is then baked in the oven until the glaze is caramelized and the ham is heated through. The bourbon adds a smoky and slightly sweet flavor to the glaze, while the Dijon mustard and spices provide a balance of savory flavors.
Bourbon glazed ham is typically served sliced and hot, and can be accompanied by sides such as roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, or biscuits. It is a popular dish for large gatherings or holiday feasts and can serve a crowd.
PREPARATION TIME: 1 hour
- 1 (8-10 pound) fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place the ham in a roasting pan, fat side up.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, mustard, honey, vinegar, bourbon, thyme, and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Brush the glaze evenly over the ham, reserving 1/4 cup of the glaze for later.
- Bake the ham for 45-50 minutes, or until heated through. Baste the ham with the remaining glaze every 15 minutes.
- Let the ham rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- Serve the ham with roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, or your favorite sides.
- To add more flavor, stud the ham with cloves before glazing.
- Leftover ham can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.