Buttermilk biscuits are a type of bread roll that are popular in the Southern United States. They are made from a combination of flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter, and buttermilk. The dough is rolled out and cut into rounds, then baked in the oven until they are golden brown and fluffy.
To make buttermilk biscuits, the dry ingredients are first combined in a bowl. The butter is then cut into the flour mixture until it is crumbly. Buttermilk is then added to the mixture and stirred until a soft dough is formed.
The dough is then rolled out onto a floured surface and cut into rounds using a biscuit cutter or a glass. The rounds are then placed on a baking sheet and baked in the oven until they are golden brown and fluffy.
Buttermilk biscuits are often served warm with butter and honey or jam. They are a staple in Southern cuisine and are often served alongside fried chicken, gravy, or barbecue. They have a tender and buttery flavor and a soft and fluffy texture that makes them a favorite comfort food for many people.
SERVINGS: 4 (makes 8 biscuits)
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes + 15 minutes baking time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 tbsps. unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter or your fingertips, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the buttermilk just until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 4 or 5 times.
- Roll or pat the dough out to a thickness of 1 inch (2.5 cm).
- Using a 2 1/2-inch (6 cm) round biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- Serve with butter, honey, or your favorite preserves.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, you can substitute it with 3/4 cup of regular milk mixed with 1 tbsp. of white vinegar or lemon juice.
- For a flakier texture, refrigerate the cut biscuits for 10 minutes before baking.