Cajun blackened chicken is a spicy and flavorful dish that originates from the cuisine of Louisiana, USA. It typically consists of a chicken breast that has been seasoned with a blend of spices, then seared in a hot cast-iron skillet until charred and crispy.
To make Cajun blackened chicken, a blend of spices is typically made from a combination of paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. The chicken breast is then coated in the spice blend, which is often referred to as “blackening seasoning.”
Next, a cast-iron skillet is heated until very hot, and the chicken breast is placed in the skillet to sear for a few minutes on each side. The high heat of the skillet causes the spices to blacken and char, giving the chicken a smoky and spicy flavor.
Cajun blackened chicken is often served with a side of rice, beans, or vegetables, and can be enjoyed as a main course for lunch or dinner. It is a delicious and hearty dish that is perfect for those who love bold and spicy flavors.
PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes (plus 30 minutes marination time)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsps. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- In a small bowl, mix together the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme, basil, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to form the Cajun seasoning.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large plastic bag and add the Cajun seasoning, melted butter, and olive oil. Seal the bag and massage the chicken to ensure it is well coated with the mixture. Let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Preheat a large skillet or grill over medium-high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and allow any excess to drip off.
- Place the chicken in the hot skillet or on the hot grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until fully cooked (165°F or 74°C internal temperature).
- Serve with rice, vegetables, or a salad.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- To add some extra flavor, squeeze a little lemon juice over the chicken before serving.
- To make the dish spicier, increase the amount of cayenne pepper in the Cajun seasoning.