Chicken and dumplings is a classic comfort food dish that is typically made with a rich and flavorful broth, tender chunks of chicken, and fluffy dumplings. Here is a basic recipe for making chicken and dumplings:
PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and set aside. In the same pot, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour to create a roux, cooking for 2-3 minutes until lightly golden.
- Slowly add the chicken broth to the roux, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens. Add the heavy cream, salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, and rosemary to the pot. Stir in the chicken.
- Reduce heat to low and let the mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 2 cups of flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in the melted butter and buttermilk until a dough forms.
- Drop spoonful of the dough into the simmering soup. Cover the pot and let the dumplings cook for 10-15 minutes, until fully cooked.
- Serve the chicken and dumplings hot, garnished with chopped parsley if desired.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- This dish can be made ahead of time and reheated for a quick and comforting meal.
- For added flavor, try adding diced carrots, celery, or other vegetables to the soup.
- Serve with crusty bread or over mashed potatoes.
Enjoy your chicken and dumplings!