Fried chicken livers are a southern American delicacy made from chicken livers that have been breaded and fried until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. They are often served as a snack or appetizer, but they can also be served as a main course.
To make fried chicken livers, the chicken livers are first cleaned and trimmed of any connective tissue or fat. They are then coated in a seasoned flour mixture or a mixture of flour and cornmeal before being deep-fried in hot oil until golden brown and crispy.
Fried chicken livers are typically seasoned with a blend of spices and herbs such as salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. They are often served with a dipping sauce such as ranch dressing, honey mustard, or hot sauce.
Fried chicken livers are a popular comfort food in the southern United States and are often served alongside other southern staples such as mashed potatoes, biscuits, and collard greens. They are a rich and flavorful dish that is sure to satisfy any meat lover’s cravings.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes
- 1 lb. chicken livers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Rinse chicken livers and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, thyme, basil, salt, and pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Dip each chicken liver in the flour mixture, then into the egg mixture, and back into the flour mixture. Repeat the process for each liver.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add the chicken livers to the hot oil in batches and fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken livers from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- Serve the fried chicken livers with your favorite dipping sauce, such as hot sauce, honey mustard, or ranch dressing.
- You can also add other seasonings to the flour mixture to taste, such as cayenne pepper or dried oregano.