Smothered pork chops is a classic Southern dish that typically consists of pork chops that are seasoned, browned in a skillet, and then simmered in a rich gravy until they are tender and flavorful. The gravy is typically made with a combination of onions, garlic, flour, broth, and seasonings, and is poured over the pork chops to create a thick, flavorful sauce. Some variations of the dish may include additional ingredients such as bell peppers, mushrooms, or tomatoes. Smothered pork chops are often served with sides such as mashed potatoes, rice, or cornbread, and are a popular comfort food in the Southern United States.
PREPARATION TIME: 45 minutes
- 4 center-cut pork chops, 1-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced canned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Season the pork chops on both sides with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- In a shallow dish, place the flour and coat each pork chop on both sides.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the pork chops to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and just cooked through.
- Remove the pork chops from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- In the same pan, add the sliced onion and minced garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, thyme, and red pepper flakes (if using) and bring to a simmer.
- Return the pork chops to the pan, spooning some of the sauce over the top.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the pork chops are fully cooked and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Stir in the chopped parsley (if using) and serve hot.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- Serve the smothered pork chops over rice, mashed potatoes, or with crusty bread to soak up the sauce.
- For a creamier sauce, you can stir in 1/4 cup of heavy cream just before serving.