Southern Fried Pork Chops are a classic southern American dish that features bone-in pork chops coated in a seasoned flour mixture and then pan-fried until crispy and golden brown. The flour mixture typically includes ingredients such as flour, salt, pepper, and paprika, which create a flavorful coating for the pork chops.
To make Southern Fried Pork Chops, the pork chops are first seasoned with salt and pepper, then dredged in the seasoned flour mixture. The chops are then fried in hot oil until they are cooked through and crispy on the outside.
Southern Fried Pork Chops are often served with traditional southern sides such as mashed potatoes, collard greens, or black-eyed peas. They are a hearty and satisfying meal that is perfect for any occasion, from a casual weeknight dinner to a special family gathering.
20 minutes for marinade
15 minutes for breading
15 minutes for frying
- 4 center-cut pork chops (1 1/2 to 2 inches thick)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, mix together buttermilk, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Add the pork chops and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- In a shallow dish, mix together flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Remove the pork chops from the buttermilk marinade and let any excess drip off. Dredge the chops in the flour mixture, pressing the flour mixture into both sides of the chop.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat about 1 inch of oil over medium-high heat until a thermometer reaches 350°F.
- Fry the pork chops until golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve hot with your favorite sides.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- For a crunchier coating, double-dredge the pork chops in the flour mixture.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, green beans, or coleslaw.
- Add a drizzle of honey or your favorite barbecue sauce for extra flavor.