Banana skillet upside-down cake is a variation of the classic pineapple upside-down cake that features sliced bananas and a caramelized brown sugar topping. It is a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that is perfect for any occasion.
To make banana skillet upside-down cake, you will need all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, unsalted butter, light brown sugar, ripe bananas, eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and milk.
Start by preheating the oven to 350°F (175°C). In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set this mixture aside.
Next, melt the butter in a 10-inch oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until it is melted and bubbly. Remove the skillet from heat and arrange the sliced bananas over the brown sugar mixture.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract and milk, and mix well. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, and mix until just combined.
Pour the cake batter over the bananas and smooth the top. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes in the skillet. Then, run a knife around the edge of the skillet to loosen the cake, and carefully invert it onto a serving plate. Serve the cake warm, with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on top, if desired.
Banana skillet upside-down cake is a delicious and unique twist on the classic dessert, and is perfect for any occasion. Its sweet banana flavor and gooey brown sugar topping make it a crowd-pleaser that is sure to impress your guests.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Layer the sliced bananas on top of the sugar mixture. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the bananas.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the granulated sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk alternately, mixing until just combined.
- Pour the batter over the bananas in the skillet and smooth it out evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes before flipping it over onto a serving plate.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a sweet and creamy dessert.
- For added texture and flavor, sprinkle chopped walnuts or pecans over the top of the cake before serving.