Biscuits and gravy is a popular breakfast dish in the Southern United States. It typically consists of fluffy, buttery biscuits that are split in half and smothered in a creamy, savory gravy made with breakfast sausage.
To prepare biscuits and gravy, breakfast sausage is first cooked in a skillet until it is browned and fully cooked. Flour is then added to the skillet and cooked until it is browned and fragrant, creating a roux that will thicken the gravy. Milk or cream is gradually added to the skillet, and the mixture is whisked until it is smooth and thickened into a gravy. The gravy is typically seasoned with salt, pepper, and other spices to taste.
Meanwhile, biscuits are baked in the oven or cooked on a griddle until they are golden brown and flaky. The biscuits are then split in half and covered with the hot, creamy gravy. The result is a hearty and satisfying breakfast dish that is perfect for a lazy weekend morning or a special occasion.
While breakfast sausage is the traditional protein used in biscuits and gravy, other meats, such as bacon or ham, may also be used. Vegetarian and vegan versions of biscuits and gravy can also be made using plant-based sausage or other protein substitutes.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 Tbsps. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage until browned and cooked through. Drain fat and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together 2 cups of flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in milk to make a soft dough. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly until smooth.
- Roll dough out to 1/2 inch thick and cut into 2-inch circles. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and stir until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add cooked sausage and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve biscuits with sausage gravy over top.
Serve with scrambled eggs, bacon, and fresh fruit for a complete breakfast.