Fried green tomatoes are a popular dish in southern cuisine that is made by slicing unripe, green tomatoes and coating them in a mixture of cornmeal, flour, and spices before frying them until crispy and golden brown.
To make fried green tomatoes, firm, unripe green tomatoes are sliced into rounds and dipped in a mixture of buttermilk and egg before being coated in a mixture of cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper. The tomatoes are then deep-fried until crispy and golden brown, resulting in a crunchy exterior and a tangy, juicy interior.
Fried green tomatoes are often served as an appetizer or side dish, and can be enjoyed on their own or with a variety of dipping sauces, such as remoulade, ranch dressing, or aioli. They are a popular dish during the summer months when tomatoes are in season, and are often featured on the menus of southern-style restaurants and diners.
Fried green tomatoes are a beloved dish in southern cuisine, and have gained popularity across the United States thanks to their unique texture and flavor. They are a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in many different ways, and are a must-try for anyone who loves southern food.
PREPARATION TIME: 25 minutes
- 4 medium green tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Slice the green tomatoes into 1/4-inch rounds.
- In a shallow dish, mix together the flour, salt, black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
- In a separate shallow dish, beat the eggs.
- In another shallow dish, spread the breadcrumbs.
- Dip each tomato slice into the flour mixture, then into the beaten eggs, and finally into the breadcrumbs, making sure it is fully coated.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven to 375°F.
- Fry the coated tomato slices in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Serve hot.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice, such as ranch or chipotle mayonnaise.
- You can also serve the fried green tomatoes on a sandwich or as a side dish.