Hummingbird cake is a traditional Southern cake that is made with bananas, pineapple, pecans, and a spiced cream cheese frosting. It is a moist and flavorful cake that is perfect for any occasion.
To make hummingbird cake, you will need all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, ground cinnamon, salt, mashed ripe bananas, crushed pineapple, chopped pecans, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, eggs, and cream cheese frosting.
First, preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and prepare three 8-inch cake pans by greasing and flouring them. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add in the mashed bananas, crushed pineapple (with juice), chopped pecans, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and eggs. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the pans for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
While the cakes are cooling, prepare the cream cheese frosting. Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy, then add in powdered sugar and vanilla extract, mixing until creamy.
To assemble the cake, place one cake layer on a cake plate, spread frosting on top of it, and repeat with the remaining cake layers. Cover the entire cake with frosting and decorate with chopped pecans if desired.
Hummingbird cake is a delicious and unique dessert that is perfect for any occasion, from birthdays to family gatherings. Its combination of flavors and textures make it a beloved Southern classic.
PREPARATION TIME: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 8-inch round cake pan
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan with butter and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract, and continue beating until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, alternating with the mashed bananas, pineapple, pecans, and shredded coconut. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth out the surface. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and salt, and continue beating until smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese frosting on top of the cooled cake, and decorate with additional pecans and coconut if desired.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- Serve the Hummingbird Cake at room temperature, or slightly chilled for a more refreshing taste.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.