New Orleans BBQ shrimp is a classic Louisiana Creole dish that features shrimp cooked in a tangy and spicy butter sauce. Despite its name, New Orleans BBQ shrimp is not typically cooked on a grill, but instead is prepared on the stove or in the oven.
To make New Orleans BBQ shrimp, large peeled and deveined shrimp are cooked in a sauce made with butter, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and a variety of spices and seasonings, including Creole seasoning, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. The shrimp are simmered in the sauce until they are cooked through and the sauce has thickened and coated the shrimp.
New Orleans BBQ shrimp is typically served with crusty French bread for dipping in the flavorful sauce. The dish is a classic Creole favorite that is enjoyed in New Orleans and beyond. It is a delicious and spicy dish that is perfect for seafood lovers and those who enjoy bold and flavorful cuisine.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt.
- Add the shrimp and cook until they are pink and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the green onions and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve the shrimp over rice or with crusty bread for soaking up the sauce.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- For a spicier dish, add additional cayenne pepper to taste.
- To make this dish gluten-free, use a gluten-free Worcestershire sauce.
Serve with crusty bread for dipping into the sauce.