Okra and tomatoes is a traditional Southern dish that features okra and tomatoes cooked together in a flavorful sauce. Okra is a green vegetable that is popular in Southern and African American cuisine, and is known for its slightly slimy texture when cooked. Tomatoes, on the other hand, add acidity and sweetness to the dish.
To make okra and tomatoes, sliced okra is sautéed with diced onions and garlic until it is lightly browned. Then, canned or fresh diced tomatoes are added to the pot along with seasonings such as salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. The mixture is simmered until the okra is tender and the flavors have melded together.
Okra and tomatoes can be served as a side dish or as a main course with rice or cornbread. It is a simple yet delicious dish that highlights the flavors of the South and is enjoyed by many.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes
- 1 pound fresh okra, washed and sliced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, paprika, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using) to the pan and stir to combine.
- Cover the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have broken down into a sauce.
- Add the sliced okra to the pan and stir to coat with the tomato sauce.
- Cover the pan and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the okra is tender.
- Stir in the chopped parsley or cilantro (if using) just before serving.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- Serve as a side dish with grilled chicken or fish.
- Serve over rice or with crusty bread to soak up the sauce.