Salmon cakes are a type of seafood dish made from canned or fresh salmon that is mixed with various ingredients and then formed into patties and cooked. The patties are typically breaded and fried or baked until they are crispy and golden brown on the outside and tender on the inside.
The specific ingredients used in salmon cakes can vary, but common additions include breadcrumbs, eggs, onions, garlic, herbs, and spices. Some recipes also include vegetables like celery, peppers, or carrots.
Salmon cakes can be served as a main dish, often accompanied by a side salad or vegetable, or as an appetizer or snack. They are a popular dish in many parts of the world, including the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10-12 minutes
- 1 pound skinless salmon fillet, flaked
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flaked salmon, panko breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, lemon juice, red onion, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and mix it into the salmon mixture.
- Shape the mixture into 4-5 patties, about 3/4-inch thick.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Fry the salmon cakes for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the salmon cakes from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Serve the salmon cakes hot with a side of lemon wedges, tartar sauce, or any other desired condiments.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- You can also bake the salmon cakes in a preheated 400°F oven for 12-15 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- For a lighter option, you can use a mixture of olive oil and non-stick cooking spray when frying the salmon cakes.
- For added flavor, you can also add some herbs such as dill or chives to the salmon mixture.