Southern slaw is a classic coleslaw dish that is popular in the Southern United States. It is typically made with shredded cabbage, carrots, and other vegetables that are mixed with a creamy dressing made with mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and spices.
To make Southern slaw, cabbage and carrots are typically shredded using a box grater or food processor. The shredded vegetables are then mixed together in a large bowl, along with other ingredients such as thinly sliced onions, chopped bell peppers, or diced jalapeños, depending on the desired level of spice.
The dressing for Southern slaw is typically made by combining mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, mustard, and other spices such as celery seed or paprika. The dressing is then mixed together with the shredded vegetables until everything is evenly coated.
Southern slaw is often served as a side dish alongside grilled meats, fried chicken, or barbecue. It is also commonly used as a topping for sandwiches, burgers, and hot dogs. The creamy dressing adds a tangy and slightly sweet flavor to the crisp and crunchy cabbage, making it a refreshing and flavorful addition to any meal.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
- 1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine shredded cabbage and grated carrot.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, white wine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage and carrot mixture, and toss to combine.
- Let the slaw sit in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Before serving, sprinkle with chopped parsley and give it a final toss.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- Serve the slaw as a side dish to grilled meats, sandwiches or tacos.
- For a sweeter slaw, increase the sugar by 1-2 tablespoons.
- For a tangier slaw, add 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.