Apple pie is a classic dessert that is made with a flaky pastry crust and a sweet and tart filling made from sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, and butter. The pie is typically baked in the oven until the crust is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.
To make apple pie, a pastry crust is first prepared by combining flour, salt, butter, and water in a bowl and mixing until a dough is formed. The dough is then rolled out into a thin sheet and placed into a pie dish. The sliced apples are then mixed with sugar, cinnamon, and butter and placed into the pie crust. Another layer of pastry is then added on top, and the edges are crimped together to seal the pie.
The pie is then baked in the oven until the crust is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly. Apple pie is often served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
Apple pie is a beloved dessert in many parts of the world, especially in the United States, where it is often served during holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. It has a sweet and comforting flavor and a warm and flaky texture that is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
PREPARATION TIME: 1 hour + 1 hour baking and cooling time
- 2 pie crusts (store-bought or homemade)
- 6 cups thinly sliced apples (about 6 medium apples)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsps. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tbsps. unsalted butter
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Roll out one of the pie crusts and place it in a 9-inch (23 cm) pie dish. Trim the edges.
- Spoon the apple mixture into the pie crust.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and dot over the apples.
- Roll out the second pie crust and place it on top of the apples. Trim and crimp the edges to seal.
- Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Let cool to room temperature, then serve.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS OR ADDITIONAL TIPS:
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- For a crispier crust, place a sheet of parchment paper or aluminum foil on the bottom rack of the oven before baking.
- Store the cooled pie in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.