Country captain chicken is a classic Southern American dish that is believed to have originated in the coastal region of Georgia. It is a flavorful and aromatic stew that features tender chicken pieces cooked in a rich tomato-based sauce with a variety of spices and vegetables.
The dish typically begins with searing chicken pieces in a hot skillet until they are browned on the outside. The chicken is then set aside, and onions, garlic, and bell peppers are sautéed in the same skillet. Tomatoes, chicken broth, and a blend of spices, such as curry powder, ginger, and paprika, are added to the skillet, creating a flavorful sauce. The chicken is then returned to the skillet and simmered until it is cooked through and tender.
Country captain chicken is often served over a bed of white rice, and may be garnished with toasted almonds or fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro. It is a warm and comforting dish that is perfect for colder months, and its unique blend of flavors and spices makes it a standout among other classic Southern American dishes.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger, cumin, cinnamon, and black pepper, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, and raisins, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken breasts to the skillet, and spoon the sauce over the top.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet, and place it on a platter.
- Stir the toasted almonds and cilantro into the sauce.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt if needed.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce spooned over the top.
- Serve over steamed rice or couscous
- Garnish with additional cilantro or toasted almonds