Southern squash casserole is a classic Southern American dish that features tender, sliced yellow squash baked in a creamy, cheesy sauce. The casserole is typically made by slicing fresh yellow squash and cooking it until it is tender, often with onions and garlic. The cooked squash is then combined with a mixture of milk, cream, eggs, cheese, and seasonings, such as salt, black pepper, and paprika, and baked until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
Some variations of Southern squash casserole also include other vegetables, such as zucchini, or incorporate different cheeses or breadcrumbs for added texture and flavor. The casserole is often served as a side dish and is a popular choice for family gatherings, potlucks, and holiday meals.
Southern squash casserole is a comfort food that is loved for its creamy, cheesy goodness and its ability to showcase the fresh flavors of summer squash. It is a versatile dish that can be adjusted to suit individual tastes, and it is a perfect accompaniment to grilled meats, fried chicken, or other classic Southern American dishes.
PREPARATION TIME: 45 minutes
- 2 cups of sliced yellow squash
- 2 cups of sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup of cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons of butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 2-quart casserole dish with butter or cooking spray.
- In a skillet, sauté the squash, zucchini and onion in 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- In a separate saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Add the cheese sauce to the skillet with the vegetables and stir until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cracker crumbs and melted butter, and sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve as a side dish with grilled chicken or pork
Add some diced bacon or diced ham to make it a complete meal